Subject: Re: ONTOPIC : Gamer Demo Reels
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 01:55:26 -0500

In a message dated 95-12-09 19:11:42 EST, you write:

>    I don't know what posessesed someone to call a discussion 
>regarding character animation in games "OFFTOPIC". It's animation,
>it can be done with LightWave, we all learn, it's on topic. 

     I totaly agree - besides, there are more employers looking for 3d
artists in game developement than ANY other part of the 3d industry. Just
open a copy of Next or Game developer, all you see is 3d artists needed.
We're on a constant search at my work for talented 3d artists, and quite
frankly, a lot of the lightwave guys don't seem to fit the bill. I find the
job requires animation which is a lot harder than the average flying logo.
You have to know how to fight off gymbal lock like the plague, and how to
make people come to life - without the fancy use of bones and displacemnet
mapping. You also have to adhear to all kinds of special render engine
quirks, and requirements that no video based 3d artist has ever heard of.
Does any video work require you build things in convexified cells? I doubt
it..